January 2018  
SMTWTFS
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   
     
This Week's Events
Bible Search
Crenshaw United Methodist Church began as a society under the Methodist Protestant Church.  The society included with Amelia, Nottoway and Dinwiddie and was established in 1827 on land a few miles from its present location.  The members quickly outgrew the building and in 1845 the new building was dedicated.  The building was then moved in 1872.  The town of Blackstone was growing in leaps and bounds, so it was decided to build a new church in a more central location.  In 1904, the church was erected at its present day location.  In 1923 the cornerstone was laid for the educational wing of the church.  This wing was renovated in the 1950's to better accommodate the congregation.  In early 2002, the building was again renovated and expanded to the modern day facility.
 
Throughout the early years of the church the Methodist women saw a great need for foreign mission.  When the Foreign Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, south was formed the women of Crenshaw immediately joined. These women began to see a need for local mission and in 1890 the Woman's Home Missionary Society was formed.  These women worked tirelessly in mission throughout the history of the church.
 
Since then the congregational as a whole has become active in mission work holding clothing drives, food drives, gleaning projects, UMCOR care packages as well as many other causes.  Throughout our history mission work has been an integral part of Crenshaw UMC.
 
To read the complete history of Crenshaw please see the booklet written by Mary Woodson Irby called "Crenshaw United Methodist Church The First 175 Years" located in the church library.
Contents © 2018 Crenshaw United Methodist Church | Church Website Provided by mychurchwebsite.net | Privacy Policy